Ania Loomba, “Gender, race, Renaissance Drama”
1. What does Loomba means when she says that the “dominant fictional representation [of black men] has legitimized both patriarchal and racist myths of female and black sexuality”(392)? How is this claim connected with her discussion of Caliban?
2. In what ways does Loomba draw a contrast between Miranda and Sycorax? Why does she think that this contrast is significant in understanding how gender assumptions function in the play?
3. How, for Loomba, do notions of sexual desire shape the characters of Prospero, Miranda, and Caliban?
Francis Barker and Peter Hulme, “Nymphs and Reapers Heavily Vanish: The Discursive Con-texts of The Tempest”
1. Why do Barker and Hulme argue that literary criticism should not focus on the unity of a text?
2. In what ways does The Tempest serve as an example, for Barker and Hulme, of what they call “colonialist legitimation”(302)?
3. What do Barker and Hulme think is the significance of Prospero’s sudden statement that he had “forgot that foul conspiracy/Of the beast Caliban and his confederates”(4.1.139-140)?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more