Assignment 1: MNC Enters China
Due Week 8 and worth 300 points
Select one (1) MNC that does not currently do business in China. Next, consider the steps that the company should consider in determining the feasibility of entering the Chinese market and establishing a market for its products or services there.
In addition to your own research, use the following links to conduct a country risk assessment (CRA) on China:
Bureau of Economic Analysis: www.bea.gov
Transparency International Corruptions Perceptions Index: http://www.transparency.org/cpi2013/results
Ranking of Economies-World Bank: http://www.doingbusiness.org/rankings
IMF Home Page: http://www.imf.org/external/index.htm
Country Risk Classification-OECD: http://www.oecd.org/tad/xcred/crc.htm
World Trade Organization Home Page: http://www.wto.org/
“Industry Analysis: Recreation” article: http://www.valueline.com/Stocks/Industries/Industry_Analysis__Recreation.aspx
Focus on the following areas: corruption, political stability, exchange rate stability, regulatory oversight, freedom of the press, and rule of law. Research other factors that you believe you should evaluate. Additionally, consider the importance of culture in evaluating risk.
Then, go to the Hofstede Center’s Country Comparison cultural tool, located at http://geert-hofstede.com/china.html. Compare China to the U.S. on Hofstede’s six (6) key cultural dimensions scale by selecting “United States” from the “Comparison Country” drop-down menu.
Write an eight to ten (8-10) page paper in which you:
1. Summarize the business that you have chosen, and provide a two to three (2-3) paragraph justification as to why China would be a viable market for the selected business.
2. Examine the exchange rate of the U.S. dollar and the Chinese Yuan for the last 24 months. Explain the major overall changes that have occurred and speculate on the key economic variables that most likely have influenced the exchange rate movements. Provide a rationale for your response.
3. Analyze the major exchange rate risks associated with transaction and translation exposure within the Chinese market. Based on what you have gleaned from your analysis, predict the major changes that you believe will occur in the next 24 months. Justify your response.
4. Recommend key steps that the chosen MNC could take in order to mitigate or eliminate exchange rate risk. Suggest one (1) method that the MNC in question could use with derivatives in order to mitigate, or eliminate such risks. Provide a rationale for your response.
5. Recommend one (1) hedging technique geared toward managing the economic, transaction, and translation exposure in the Chinese market. Justify your response.
6. Conduct a country risk assessment to ascertain whether or not management should support the proposal for your chosen MNC to enter into the Chinese market. Based on Geert Hofstede’s six (6) dimensions of culture, predict three (3) likely problems posed by the cultural differences between the chosen MNC’s culture and the Chinese culture. Provide a rationale for your response.
7. Use at least six (6) quality references, with at least two (2) from peer reviewed journal articles.
FIN 535 – Assignments and Rubrics
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more