Siren Song by Margaret Atwood
1) What is the appeal of the siren song? Why is that it works every time”?
2)Based on the way the siren addresses him what can you infer about her audience?
3)The mythical sirens were creatures of mystery. How does Atwood’s diction demystify them? Cite specific examples from the text.
4) Describe the tone of the poem. Look carefully at Atwood’s use of hyperbole and understatement.
5) What stereotypes of women does Atwood draw upon in this poem?
6) Discuss how Atwood’s poem can be read as a response to Homer. How might it be a protest against his depiction of the sirens?
Love is not all by Edna St. Vincent Millay
1) Explain the argument expressed in the first six lines of this sonnet. Why do you think Millya beings her love poem by defining what love is not? Why do you think Millay chose to write this poem as a sonnet?
2) What is the poem’s situtation- that is wehre is the speaker in relation to the person she is addresssing? Characterize the relationship of the two based on the information the poem provides.
3) “Love is not all” depends on an extended metaphor. What is it? How does Millay make it seem possible.
4) In lines 9-14 of the sonnet, Millay imagines a series of hypothetical situations. Describe how the speaker’s tone shifts in these final lines.
5) What do you make of the tentativeness of the final line. ” It well may be, I do not think I would” Why are these words more intriguing than a declaration of “Never!” would be?
6) How does the tone of the poem reflect Millay’s attitude toward love? How would you describe this tone?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more