This assignment is based on the book “Longitude” by Dava Sobel
-Should be 2 pages
-You are answering each questions in paragraph form (dont format it as essay)
Answer all questions (these are all based in the book)
1. What is Longitude and Latitude? How do they determine positions?
2. (a) Why was it vital to find a way to discover longitude?
(b) What were the schools of thought in the approach to the problem?
3. What motivates John Harrison to build his clocks? (Money, prestige, reward, solving the problem of longitude or is it a combination of motives?) Write a clearly defined answer.
4. Describe why the Royal Astronomers were hostile to John Harrison’s clocks
5. Why did Harrison face a difficult time on the British ships where he tested the clocks?
6. To what extent was John Harrison mistreated by the Board of Longitude?
7. Rupert Gould became obsessed with restoring Harrison’s clocks. Describe his actions and the long term impact.
8. Describe at least one “villain” in the story
9. Would you recommend the book to a geography class? Why or why not?
10. What part/section of the book was
(a) Most enjoyable?
(b) Least enjoyable?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more