1. Properly designed incentive programs work because they are based on two well-accepted psychological principles: (1) increased motivation improves performance and (2)
the Rucker plan
recognition is a major factor in motivation
the Scanlon plan
2. Employee demotions usually involve.
a reduction in pay but no loss of opportunity, status, or privilege
a cut in pay, status, privilege, or opportunity
an increase in pay and more responsibility
a decrease in status and privilege but no loss of opportunity or pay
3. When conduction a performance feedback discussion, active listening requires
interruptions to get your point across
verbal communications only
summarizing what was said and what was agreed to
summarizing your key points
4. Which of the following is a distinctive feature of the U.S. system compared with other countries?
Wages set by arbitration councils
Low union dues and small union staffs
All agreements are of unlimited duration
5. ____________ is the biggest hurdle to overcome in a pay-for-performance plan.
Salary cap performance level
6. _____ analysis is the level of analysis that focuses on employees specifically.
7. Title VII of the _____________ states that top executives in companies receiving government support can retract bonuses, retention awards, or incentives paid to the top five senior executive officers or the next 20 most highly compensated employees based on corporate information that is later found to be inaccurate.
Pay for Performance Act (2009)
American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (2009)
Sarbanes–Oxley Act (2002)
Equal Pay Act (1963)
8. What is our country’s income maintenance program?
PPA (2006), 401(k)
9. Which question should not be important in evaluating the value of training?
Is the change positive related to organizational goals?
Is the change due to training?
Was the cost of training within the budget?
Did change occur?
10. _____ implies that appraisal systems are easy for managers and employees to understand and use.
11. This made extensive changes to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) of 1974 that governs employer-sponsored, qualified (for tax deferral) retirement-benefit plans.
Short-Term Severance Pay laws
Employer Cost Shifting laws
The Pension Protection Act (PPA) of 2006
Short-Term Disability laws
12. When companies discover they can communicate better with their customers through employees who are similar to their customers, those companies then realize they have increased their _____ diversity.
13. For organizations, _________ is an indirect cost associated with downsizing.
an increase in the unemployment tax rate
14. The Civil Rights Act of 1991 offered what for victims of unintentional discrimination?
Monetary damages and jury trials
15. Organizations periodically turn to _________ to meet demands for talent brought about by business growth and a desire for fresh ideas, or to replace employees who leave.
outside labor markets
16. To avoid legal difficulties related to performance appraisals and enhance credibility in court, employers should
document appraisal ratings and reason for termination
have friends testify
present only the manager’s perspective
present only the employee’s perspective
17. Which is not a quality of Generation Y?
A blurring of the lines between work and leisure time while on the job
Short attention spans
The constant need for stimulation/entertainment
Inability to handle numerous projects
18. Training that results in ______ is costly because of the cost of training (which proved to be useless) and the cost of hampered performance.
applicability of training
reinforcement of training
simulation of training
negative transfer of training
19. What can affirmative action assist organizations in achieving that diversity initiatives cannot?
Correcting specific problems of the past
Maximizing workforce commitment
20. _____ proceeds from an oral warning to a written warning to a suspension to dismissal.
21. Because practical considerations make job tryouts for all candidates infeasible, it is necessary to __________ the relative level of job performance for each candidate on the basis of available information.
22. If employers fail to check closely enough on a prospective employee who then commits a crime in the course of performing his or her job duties, they can be held liable for
quid pro quo
loss of consortium
23. ________________ include everything in a work environment that enhances a worker’s sense of self-respect and esteem by others.
General business strategies
Internal pay objectives
24. A _____ occurs when parties are unable to move further toward settlement.
25. Hard quotas
are a concerted effort by the organization to actively expand the pool of applicants so that no one is excluded because of past or present discrimination
systematically favor women and minorities in hiring and promotion decisions
are a commitment to treat all races and sexes equally in all decisions about hiring, promotion, and pay
represent a mandate to hire or promote specific numbers or proportions of women or minority group members
26. In determining the competitiveness of benefits, senior management tends to focus mainly on
27. In _____, workers have been fired for refusing to quit smoking, for living with someone without being married, drinking a competitor’s product, motorcycling, and other legal activities outside of work.
invasion of privacy
28. Mary arrives at her new job. Before she can begin actually doing the work, she must complete a series of activities including role playing and virtual reality interactions. What type of training method does Mary’s new employer use?
29. If objective performance data are available, which of the following is the best strategy to use?
summated rating scales
work planning and review
30. ___________ is the process where managers provide feedback to the employees regarding their past and present job performance proficiency, as well as a basis for improving performance in the future.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more